The early history of Vinohrady is closely connected with the history of Žižkov, even if that may not be readily apparent today (Žižkov remained largely a working-class neighborhood into the late 20th century, while Vinohrady gradually gentrified). At the onset of the Industrial Age (mid-19th century), both boroughs started out as rapid construction of worker accommodations to the east of the former city walls, in an area until then occupied by vineyards and orchards.
Eventually, the new polity, called Královské Vinohrady (“Royal Vineyards”), became so large that it was split into two parts, Žižkov and Vinohrady, both of which were eventually granted independent city status.
Like in neighboring Žižkov, construction in Vinohrady was very fast-paced throughout the latter half of the 19th century, and the population increased sharply by the year. A new water pumping station, complete with a water tower and linked to the Podolí Water Plant, was built, horse-carriage public transit was instituted between Vinohrady and Můstek (the lower end of Wenceslas Square), streets were paved with stone, the Vinohrady Theatre was founded, then the first permanent cinema, and so on.
In 1922, Královské Vinohrady was incorporated into “Greater Prague.” In 1960, the borough was administratively split into several parts, which were assigned to other borough administrations. After the fall of Communism, Vinohrady recovered, with repairs to dilapidated townhouses, resurgence of small and medium enterprise, and the borough’s return to its former status as an upper-middle-class residential neighborhood.
 This may have been done to suppress the borough’s gentrified nature and resulting residential prestige – Communists in general considered the “bourgeoisie” to be their “class enemy.”
Give us a like, it will really make our day!:)
This post is also available in Czech.